This is the maintenance schedule and associated service intervals for the 2002 Honda VTX1800R.
This maintenance schedule applies to the following model:
- 2002 Honda VTX1800R
The Honda VTX series is a line of V-twin Honda cruiser motorcycles. VTX stands for V-Twin Extreme. The Honda VTX 1800 was launched in 2001 as a 2002 model. Honda claimed that 1800 put out 159 N⋅m (117 lbf⋅ft) of torque at only 3,000 rpm and 75 kW (101 hp) at 5000 rpm, making the VTX1800 one of the most powerful production V-twin motorcycles of its time.
This page contains affiliate links.
2002 Honda VTX1800R Maintenance Schedule
Below is the maintenance schedule for the 2002 Honda VTX1800R.
The maintenance for the 2002 Honda VTX1800R is broken into two sections: Emission-Related Items and Non-Emission-Related Items.
Periodic Maintenance Chart
|Items||x 1000 mi||0.6||4||8||12||16||20||24|
|Emission-Related Items||NOTE||x 1000 km||1||6.4||12.8||19.2||25.6||32||38.4|
|Air Cleaner||NOTE 2||R||R|
|Crankcase Breather||NOTE 3||C||C||C||C||C||C|
|Engine Oil Filter||R||R||R|
|*||Engine Idle Speed||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|Radiator Coolant||NOTE 5||I||I||R|
|*||Secondary Air Supply System||I||I||I|
|*||Evaporative Emission Control System||NOTE 4||I||I|
|Final Drive Oil||I||I||R|
|Brake Fluid||NOTE 5||I||I||R||I||I||R|
|Brake Pads Wear||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|*||Brake Light Switch||I||I||I|
|Clutch Fluid||NOTE 5||I||I||R||I||I||R|
|*||Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners||I||I||I|
|**||Steering Head Bearings||I||I||I|
- * Should be serviced by your Honda dealer, unless you have the proper tools and service data and are mechanically qualified. Refer to the official Honda Service Manual.
- ** In the interest of safety, we recommend these items be serviced only by your Honda dealer.
- I: inspect and clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace, if necessary
- C: clean
- A: adjust
- L: lubricate
- R: replace
- 1. At higher odometer readings, repeat at the frequency interval established here
- 2. Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden in unusually wet or dusty areas
- 3. Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden often at full throttle or in the rain.
- 4. California type only.
- 5. Replace every 2 years, or at indicated odometer interval, whichever comes first. Replacement requires mechanical skill.
Tyre size and tyre pressure for the 2002 Honda VTX1800R
The 2002 Honda VTX1800R has the following tyres and tyre sizes standard:
- Front: 150/80R17M/C 72H
- Rear: 180/70R16M/C 77H
Tire type: Radial, Tubeless
- Front: DUNLOP D251F
- Rear: DUNLOP D251
The manual for the 2002 Honda VTX1800R recommends the following tyre pressures (when cold):
- Front: 33 psi (225 kPa, 2.25 kgf/cm2)
- Rear: 33 psi (225 kPa, 2.25 kgf/cm2)
Driver and passenger:
- Front: 33 psi (225 kPa, 2.25 kgf/cm2)
- Rear: 36 psi (250 kPa, 2.50 kgf/cm2)
About the 2002 Honda VTX1800R
The biggest cruiser Honda has ever produced, the VTX is powered by a 1795cc V-twin with 106 horsepower and 120 pounds-feet of torque. With an exhaust valve bigger than a P-51’s and an 18.8-kilogram crankshaft, the VTX is the King Kong of performance cruisers.
Full-flowing deeply balanced front and rear steel fenders, chrome-hooded headlight, broad fuel tank with tank-mounted instruments, pullback handlebar, and floorboards with a heel-and-toe shifter combine to create classic styling that puts the VTX1800R in a class of its own.
Cast wheels similar to the VTX1800C’s but with ‘phat’ 150/80-17 and 180/70R16 radial tires round off the VTX1800R’s low-profile silhouette. The VTX1800R. Outrageous horsepower in a mellow package.
Full-flowing deeply balanced front and rear steel fenders, chrome-hooded headlight, broad fuel tank with tank-mounted instruments, pullback handlebar, and floorboards with heel-and-toe shifter create a classic retro style that puts the VTX1800R in a class of its own.
Massive tubular steel frame contains the engine’s power and gives the VTX a long, low, muscular stance. Large, 45mm inverted front fork provides 130mm of plush yet responsive wheel travel. Dual chromed rear shocks have 100mm of wheel travel and feature an advanced internal valve system for a comfortable ride.
Manual for the 2002 Honda VTX1800R
The above maintenance schedule comes directly from the user’s manual for the 2002 Honda VTX1800R.