This is the maintenance schedule and associated service intervals for the Honda CBR954RR FireBlade, a larger capacity, more powerful, and lighter update to the earlier Honda CBR929RR.
The sixth-generation CBR900RR (known as the Honda CBR954RR in many markets) was introduced in 2002.
Honda took the CBR929RR and enlarged the cylinder bore from 74mm to 75mm, increasing capacity to 954 cc. Honda then added larger fuel injectors, a larger radiator, re-mapped electronic fuel injection, and a more powerful ECU.
The restyled bodywork and fairings gave the CBR954RR a sleeker look. The frame as well as the swingarm were strengthened, and the footpegs raised to let you lean further. Front disc size increased to 330 mm.
The Honda CBR954RR makes over 100 kW (over 130 hp) at the wheel, with over 150 at the crank, which is pretty amazing with a wet weight of 195 kg (430 lb) — lighter than many 600cc class bikes at the time — and that there were no rider aids at the time.
This site has links for things like oil and spark plugs from which we earn a commission (which unfortunately nobody can save, not even us). If you appreciate this work, then please use those links. Thanks!
Honda CBR954RR Maintenance Schedule
Below is the maintenance schedule for the Honda CBR954RR. It’s broken up into distance and time intervals — do the service at the earlier of the two.
- I: inspect and clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace, if necessary
- C: clean
- A: adjust
- L: lubricate
- R: replace
- At higher odometer readings, repeat at the frequency interval established here
- Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden in unusually wet or dusty areas
- Replace brake fluid and coolant every 2 years, or at indicated odometer interval, whichever comes first. Replacement requires mechanical skill (do you have it?)
|Items||x 1000 km||1||6||12||18||24||30||36|
|x 1000 mi||0.6||4||8||12||16||20||24|
|*||Air Cleaner||NOTE (2)||I||I|
|Spark Plugs (NGK IMR9C-9H)||EVERY 24000 km (16000 mi) I EVERY 48000 km (32000 mi) R|
|Engine Oil (Recommended: Castrol Power RS)||R||R||R||R|
|Engine Oil Filter (Recommended: Hiflofiltro HF204RC)||R||R||R||R|
|*||Engine Idle Speed||I||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|Radiator Coolant||NOTE (3)||I||I||R|
|*||Secondary Air Supply System||I||I||I|
|Drive Chain (Use Motul Chain Paste)||EVERY 1000 km (600 mi) I, L|
|Drive Chain Slider||I||I||I|
|Brake Fluid (DOT 4)||NOTE (3)||I||I||R||I||I||R|
|Brake Pad Wear||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|*||Brake Light Switch||I||I||I|
|**||Exhaust Valve Control Cable||EVERY 24000 km (16000 mi) I|
|*||Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners||I||I||I||I|
|**||Steering Head Bearings||I||I||I||I|
Tyre size and tyre pressure for the Honda CBR954RR
The manual for the Honda CBR9544 specifies the following tyre pressures, ships with these tyres, and recommends these tyre pressures.
|Front||120/70ZR17 M/C (58W)||BRIDGESTONE BT012F RADIAL G|
MICHELIN Pilot SPORT E
|250 kPa (2,50 kgf/cm2) 36 psi|
|Rear||90/50ZR17 M/C (73W)||BRIDGESTONE BT012R RADIAL G|
MICHELIN Pilot SPORT E
|290 kPa (2,90 kgf/cm2) 42 psi|
About the Honda CBR954RR
Is the CBR954RR the greatest FireBlade of all time? Tadao Baba, father of the FireBlade (with the capital B) seems to think so. It’s still his personal bike.
With its balance between power and handling, the CBR954RR was at the time the world’s foremost open-class sportbike… and it’s still a weapon. The CBR954RR’s 954cc inline four engine features both low-end pulling power and fearsome top-end punch for a thrill unmatched in the open-class sportbike class.
The CBR954RR produces 154 bhp at 11,250 rpm and 74.6 lb./ft. of torque at 9,000 rpm with a 12,150-rpm rev limiter. Its 168 kilogram dry weight results in incredible power-to-weight ratio. And while the power-weight ratio has been eclipsed by more modern Fireblades (and other sport bikes), the CBR954RR remains the lightest Honda Superbike ever made.
Some ways in which the CBR954RR FireBlade was revolutionary:
- Each electronic fuel injector has 12 laser-drilled jet holes for finer fuel atomization, resulting in smoother, more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
- Advanced programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) features a sophisticated throttle sensor and advanced fuel injection mapping to produce smooth and linear throttle response for precise throttle adjustments.
- The brake calipers (two front, one rear) have Nimuflon(tm)-coated steel pistons and Teflon-coated rollback seals to enhance braking feel under repeated hard use.
- The Narrow-eye multi-reflector headlight has a single, central H7 low/high beam surrounded by two additional H7 high beams to brilliantly illuminate the night roadway.
- LED taillight provides brilliant illumination and exceptionally long life.
Manual for the Honda CBR954RR
The above maintenance schedule comes directly from the user’s manual for the Honda CBR954RR.
You can download it from here.