This is the maintenance schedule and associated service intervals for the Honda CRF230L.
The Honda CRF230L is a dual-sport motorcycle made released by Honda in 2008 and made until 2012, when it was replaced by the 2013 model year Honda CRF250L. Like its more well-known (these days) successor, the CRF230L was designed as a small, lightweight, affordable four-stroke dual-sport good for beginners, commuters, or adventure riders.
Honda released the CRF230L to succeed the XL185S. In fact, the CRF230L was Honda’s first new dual sport motorcycle in sixteen years since the introduction of the XR650L in 1992.
Like other single-cylinder dual sport motorcycles, the CRF230L is easy to maintain and very forgiving if you get something wrong (either in riding it or fixing it).
This site has links to Amazon for things like oil and spark plugs from which we earn a commission (which unfortunately nobody can save, not even us). If you appreciate this work, then please use those links to buy your oil, spark plugs, etc.
Honda CRF230L Maintenance Schedule
Below is the maintenance schedule for the Honda CRF230L.
Honda’s manual marks two levels of difficulty which we’ve transcribed as asterisks.
- * Should be serviced by your Honda dealer, unless you have the proper tools and service data and are mechanically qualified. Refer to the official Honda Service Manual.
- ** In the interest of safety, we recommend these items be serviced only by your Honda dealer (but come on, it’s a dual-sport bike!)
- I: inspect and clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace, if necessary
- C: clean
- A: adjust
- L: lubricate
- R: replace
Notes on the maintenance schedule:
- At higher odometer readings, repeat at the frequency interval established here
- 2 (air filter ,chain). Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden in unusually wet or dusty areas
- 3 (crankcase breather). Service more frequently when riding in rain or at full throttle.
- 4 (fluids). Honda says “Replacement requires mechanical skill”, likely for liability.
|Items||x 1000 km||1||6||12||18||24||30||36|
|x 1000 mi||0.6||4||8||12||16||20||24|
|*||Fuel Strainer Screen||C||C||C||C||C||C|
|Air Cleaner||NOTE (2)||R||R|
|*||Sub Air Cleaner||R||R|
|Crankcase Breather||NOTE (3)||C||C||C||C||C||C|
|Engine Oil||NOTE (5)||R||Every 3200 km (2000 mi) R|
|*||Engine Oil Srainer Screen||C||C||C|
|**||Engine Oil Centrifugal Filter||C||C||C|
|*||Engine Idle Speed||I||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|*||Secondary Air Supply System||I||I||I|
|Drive Chain||NOTE (4)||EVERY 1000 km (600 mi) I, L|
|Drive Chain Slider||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|Brake Fluid||NOTE (5)||I||I||R||I||I||R|
|Brake Pad Wear||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|*||Brake Light Switch||I||I||I|
|*||Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners||NOTE (4)||I||I||I||I|
|**||Steering Head Bearings||I||I||I||I|
Tyre size and tyre pressure for the Honda CRF230L
The Honda CRF230L uses tubed tyres. The manual gives the following tyre sizes, brands, and recommended tyre pressures.
|Front||2.75-21 45P||BRIDGESTONE TW27||125kPa (18 psi)|
|Rear||120/80-18M/C 62P||BRIDGESTONE TW30||150 kPa (22 psi)|
About the Honda CRF230L
Honda has been making dual-sport motorcycles for many decades, and the CRF230L was the latest in the series.
The CRF230L is powered by a torquey 223cc, air-cooled, four-stroke single-cylinder engine. It puts power to the ground through a six-speed transmission and chain drive.
The Honda CRF230L has a lightweight semi-double-cradle high-tensile steel frame and Showa long-travel suspension to keep it comfortable on bumpy roads. Combining these specs with its overall weight of just 121 kg (267 lb) wet, it makes for a bike that’s easy to manage on all kinds of terrain.
The CRF230L has the weight and torque of a dirt bike, but with a headlight, tail light, turn signals and mirrors to keep it street legal.
Core specs of the Honda 230L:
- Displacement: 223cc, 65.5 mm x 66.2 mm, 9.0:1 compression ratio
- Type: air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Valve Train: SOHC; two-valve
- Induction: 30mm CV carburetor
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: #520 O-ring – sealed chain
Manual for the Honda CRF230L
The above maintenance schedule comes directly from the user’s manual for the Honda CRF230L.
You can download it from here.