This is the maintenance schedule and associated service intervals for the Honda CRF250L.
The Honda CRF250L is a dual-sport motorcycle, part of the Honda CRF series, manufactured by Honda for their global market. It was first released in 2012 for the 2013 model year, and has remained basically unchanged since.
The CRF250L was also released in the “Rally” trim, which gave it a small windscreen, slightly more suspension travel, hand guards, skid plate, re-styled fairings, and asymmetrical headlights that remind you quite a bit of a BMW adventure bike.
But the core of the motorcycle is the same — a 249cc water-cooled fuel-injected single that makes 18 kW (24 hp), and is mostly built for not going too fast. It’ll clear 75 mph (or 110 km/h) only but barely, and on a straight.
In 2021, Honda upgraded the engine capacity slightly with the CRF300L and CRF300L Rally.
For those looking for a bit more off-road excitement, the CRF450L is higher spec (and more highly strung).
This site has links for things like oil and spark plugs from which we earn a commission (which unfortunately nobody can save, not even us). If you appreciate this work, then please use those links. Thanks!
What you need to service your Honda CRF250L
Maintaining a fuel-injected dual-sport bike is a must! You’re going to get the chain dirty, the air cleaner clogged up, and put the suspension and pivot points through abuse. Aside from regular motorcycle maintenance tools, here are a few other things you’ll need to keep your CRF250L in spec.
|Part||Honda CRF250L and CRF250L Rally|
|Oil||Honda recommends SAE 10W-30, JASO T 903 standard MA (or API classification SG or higher) oil such as Pro Honda GN4 10W-30. Use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to 24 Nm (18 lb-ft).|
|Oil filter||You can use Hiflofiltro HF112 for the oil filter as a drop-in replacement|
|Air filter (OEM)||You can use the K&N air filter, whose part number is K&N HA-2513.|
|Spark plugs||Use NGK spark plug part SIMR8A9.|
|Chain maintenance||To maintain your chain, Motul chain paste is quite well-liked. There’s also the Motul chain care kit which is affordable and good.|
|Brake fluid||You can use any fluid, but Honda recommends Honda DOT 4.|
|Brake pads (front)||EBC front brake pads have part number FA465R.|
|Brake pads (rear)||EBC rear brake pads have part number FA629R.|
|Coolant||Use Zerex G05, which is based on ethylene glycol, with corrosion inhibitors|
|Grease||Stock up on lithium soap-based grease and silicon grease to keep pivots and moving parts lubricated and protected.|
Honda CRF250L Maintenance Schedule
Below is the maintenance schedule for the Honda CRF250L.
There are some changes in the maintenance schedule of the CRF250L manuals. We’ve included notes where relevant at the bottom. The most important change is that Honda now has time intervals for some service components like changing brake fluid — it didn’t used to.
Honda indicates suggested difficulty levels for some maintenance items:
- X: “Should be serviced by your Honda dealer, unless you have the proper tools and service data and are mechanically qualified.”
- XX: Honda says “In the interest of safety, we recommend these items be serviced only by your Honda dealer.”
- I: inspect and clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace, if necessary
- C: clean
- L: lubricate
- R: replace
- Honda also marked changing brake fluid and radiator coolant as “requiring mechanical skill” but… does it?
- At higher odometer readings, repeat at the frequency interval established here
- [RD] Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden in unusually wet or dusty areas
- [RFT] Service more frequently when riding in rain or at full throttle.
- [OR] Service more frequently when riding OFF-ROAD.
|mi x 1000||0.6||4||8||12||16||20||24|
|km x 1000||Dif.||1||6.4||12.8||19.2||25.6||32||38.4||Every|
|Air Cleaner [RD] (K&N HA-2513)||R||R|
|Crankcase Breather [RFT]||C||C||C||C||C||C|
|Spark Plug (NGK SIMR8A9)||I||32K mi (51.2k km): R|
|Engine Oil (Pro Honda GN4)||R||R||R||R||1 Year|
|Engine Oil Filter (C1) (HF112)||R||R|
|Engine Idle Speed (C2)||X||I||I||I|
|Radiator Coolant (C3) (Zerex G05)||I||I||I||3 Years|
|Secondary Air Supply System||X||I|
|Evaporative Emission Control System (California only)||X||I|
|Drive Chain [OR] (C4)||600 mi (1000 km): I, L|
|Drive Chain Slider||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|Brake Fluid (C5) (Honda DOT 4)||I||I||I||I||I||I||2 Years, R|
|Brake Pad Wear||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|Brake Light Switch||I||I||I|
|Spark Arrester (if fitted — USA only)||X||C||C||C||C||C||C|
|Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners [OR]||X||I||I||I|
|Steering Head Bearings||XX||I||I||I|
Changes relative to previous services
- C1, C2: Used to be every service; reduced to every other service
- C3: Previously had no time interval; now it’s 3 years.
- C4: Intervals these days are double what they once were.
- C5: Previously there was no time interval attached, now it’s 2 years.
Tyre size and tyre pressure for the Honda CRF250L
The Honda manual refers to the following tyre sizes, recommended tyres, and tyre pressures (when cold). These are tubed tyres.
|Front||3.00-21 51P||IRC GP-21F Z||22 psi (150 kPa , 1.50 kgf/cm2 )|
|Rear||120/80-18M/C 62P||IRC GP-22R||22 psi (150 kPa , 1.50 kgf/cm2 )|
About the Honda CRF250L
The CRF250L is the motorcycle industry’s top-selling dual-sport model by a large margin, and it’s easy to understand why. It’s affordable, reliable, and does really well on- and off-road.
The CRF250L’s long-travel 43mm inverted fork, single-shock rear suspension, and styling cues from the bigger bikes in the CRF line (like the Africa Twin), and ABS as an option, the CRF250L is an excellent low-cost and low-maintenance adventure bike.
It combines a high-efficiency, fuel-injected DOHC single-cylinder counterbalanced engine, and electric starter with a comfortable, neutral seating position, headlight, taillight, turn signals, mirrors, EPA and California Air Resources Board compliant exhaust system.
- 249.6cc single-cylinder four-stroke engine returns excellent fuel economy and features a broad power band with plenty of low-revving torque.
- Roller rocker arm design for valve train allows for a compact cylinder head
- Engine counter-balancer enables smooth running.
- Fuel injection means the CRF250L models start right up, even in cold weather.
- Large, 38mm throttle body offers ideal response and power in low and midranges.
- Compact, two-chamber muffler paired to 38mm exhaust head pipe contributes to good peak power
Manual for the Honda CRF250L
The above maintenance schedule comes directly from the user’s manual for the 2017-2020 Honda CRF250L.
The manual changed in format since the 2016 model, and some service intervals changed. But fundamentally it’s the same bike, and so this is the latest guidance from Honda on servicing the CRF250L.
You can download it from here.