This is the maintenance schedule and associated service intervals for the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie. It’s also known as the Honda Valkyrie, or Honda Valkyrie 1500, to distinguish it from the later 1800 cc Valkyrie.
Honda also released a version of the Honda Valkyrie called the Interstate or Deluxe. These were the same basic motorcycle, but with gear for long-range touring like saddlebags/luggage and a windshield. See pics of them below.
The heart of the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie is a 1520cc liquid-cooled carburettor-fed flat six engine, the same engine from the Honda Gold Wing of the time. The difference is of course the style — the GL1500C Valkyrie is a “cruiser” bike, or a “custom”. It’s nice to look at, exposing the beautiful engine (covered in chrome), and doesn’t attract comments like “why didn’t you just get a car” from people who’ve never ridden a Gold Wing.
Plus, that flat six sound. Like a Porsche 911 when it’s on throttle (with the right exhaust).
This site has links for things like oil and spark plugs from which we earn a commission (which unfortunately nobody can save, not even us). If you appreciate this work, then please use those links. Thanks!
Honda GL1500C Valkyrie Maintenance Schedule
Below is the maintenance schedule for the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie.
The maintenance for the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie is broken into two sections: Emission-Related Items and Non-Emission-Related Items.
According to Honda, each item on the maintenance schedule requires some mechanical knowledge. Certain items (particularly those marked * and **) might need more technical information and tools.
- * Should be serviced by your Honda dealer, unless you have the proper tools and service data and are mechanically qualified. Refer to the official Honda Service Manual.
- ** In the interest of safety, we recommend these items be serviced only by your Honda dealer.
Legend for the maintenance schedule:
- I: inspect and clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace, if necessary
- C: clean
- A: adjust
- L: lubricate
- R: replace
Notes (see relevant number where appropriate):
- 1. At higher odometer readings, repeat at the frequency interval established here
- 2 (Air cleaner). Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden in unusually wet or dusty areas
- 3 (Crankcase breather). Service more frequently when riding in the rain, or at full throttle.
- 4 (Evap system). California model only.
- 5 (Brake/Clutch fluid). Replace every 2 years, or at indicated odometer interval, whichever comes first. Replacement requires mechanical skill. Refer to the official Honda service manual
|Items||x 1000 mi||0.6||4||8||12||16||20||24|
|Emission-Related Items||NOTE||x 1000 km||1||6.4||12.8||19.2||25.6||32||38.4|
|Engine Oil Filter||R||R||R||R|
|*||Engine Idle Speed||I||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|*||Secondary Air Supply System||I||I||I|
|*||Evaporative Emission Control System||4||I||I|
|**||Timing Belts||EVERY 100000 mi (160000 km) I|
|Final Drive Oil||I||I||R|
|Brake Pad Wear||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|*||Brake Light Switch||I||I||I|
|*||Cruise Valve Element||R|
|*||Air Pump Element||C|
|*||Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners||I||I||I||I|
|**||Steering Head Bearings||I||I||I||I|
Tyre size and tyre pressure for the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie
The Honda GL1500C Valkyrie has the following tyres and tyre sizes standard, as well as the following recommended tyre pressures.
|Front||130/70-18 63H||DUNLOP K177F||33 psi (225 kPa, 2.25 kgf/cm2)|
|Rear||160/80-16 75H||DUNLOP K177||36-41 psi (250-280 kPa), depending on load weight*.|
* includes the weight of the rider, passenger, all cargo and all accessories
About the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie
The Honda GL1500C Valkyrie’s liquid-cooled 1520cc six-cylinder is tuned for excellent roll-on power and sophisticated cruising comfort.
The previous generation Gold Wing-derived engine has six carburetors, aggressive camshaft timing, and a free-flow exhaust system — this is no sedate cruiser, but a power cruiser that can really rev.
The tuned six-into-six exhaust system has three individual outlet pipes enclosed in a single muffler-like casing on each side.
The custom styling appeal includes carefully designed chrome engine accents, including manifolds, timing belt cover and reshaped head covers. The Valkyrie GL1500C has a five-speed transmission with close gear-ratios for exciting roll-on performance.
The Honda GL1500C Valkyrie also has:
- A quiet and virtually maintenance-free shaft drive.
- Simple-to-service screw-and-locknut valve-clearance adjusters.
- A strong, rugged chassis with a solidly mounted engine for confidence-inspiring handling.
- A massive 45mm inverted front fork with 130mm of plush, well-controlled travel, and large-section aluminum alloy top and bottom triple-clamps add to fork rigidity.
The Valkyrie may be a stripped-back Gold Wing, but it has a few creature comforts to help with long-range touring. For example, it has a powerful front halogen headlight with a multi reflector-type lens.
The dash of the Valkyrie is more basic though — a chrome-case-enclosed tachometer and speedometer with white-colored faces.
Manual for the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie
The above maintenance schedule comes directly from the user’s manual for the Honda GL1500C Valkyrie.