This is the maintenance schedule and associated service intervals for the Honda Shadow Phantom, also known as the Shadow Black Spirit in some markets, made from 2010 onward.
The Honda Shadow Phantom is part of the family of modern Honda Shadow motorcycles which have a 745 cc liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin with fuel injection.
The Shadow Phantom is unique for having
- Fuel injection
- A low, bobber-style design
- Blacked out engine and body
- Shaft drive (to contrast with the Honda Shadow RS/VT750RS chain drive).
The Shadow Phantom just looks really good. Here are a couple more pics of it.
This site has links to Amazon for things like oil and spark plugs from which we earn a commission (which unfortunately nobody can save, not even us). If you appreciate this work, then please use those links to buy your oil, spark plugs, etc.
Honda Shadow Phantom Maintenance Schedule
Below is the maintenance schedule for the Honda Shadow Phantom.
The maintenance for the Honda Shadow Phantom is broken into two sections: Emission-Related Items and Non-Emission-Related Items.
Honda’s difficulty levels per the manual
- X: Intermediate. We recommend service by your Honda dealer, unless you have the necessary tools and are mechanically skilled. Procedures are provided in an official Honda Service Manual
- XX: Technical. In the interest of safety, have your motorcycle serviced by your dealer.
- *At higher odometer readings, repeat at the frequency interval established here.
- Air cleaner: Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden in unusually wet or dusty areas.
- Crankcase breather: Service more frequently if the motorcycle is ridden often at full throttle or in the rain.
- Brake fluid/coolant: Replace every 2 years, or at indicated odometer intervals, whichever comes first. Replacement requires mechanical skill.
Maintenance Procedures legend:
- I: Inspect and clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace, if necessary
- C: Clean
- R: Replace
|Air Cleaner (2) (K&N HA-7504)||R||R|
|Crankcase Breather (3)||C||C||C||C||C||C|
|Spark Plug (NGK DPR7EA-9, gapped to 0.8-0.9mm)||I||R||I||R||I||R|
|Engine Oil (Pro Honda GN4)||Replace every 12 months||R||R||R||R|
|Engine Oil Filter (HF204RC)||R||R||R||R|
|Engine Idle Speed||X||I||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|Radiator Coolant (4) (Use only ethylene glycol pre-mix)||I||I||R|
|Secondary Air Supply System||X||I||I||I|
|Evaporative Emission Control System||X||I||I|
|Final Drive Oil (Lucas Oil 80W-90)||I||I||R|
|Brake Fluid (4) (Use only DOT 4)||I||I||R||I||I||R|
|Brake Shoes/Pads Wear||I||I||I||I||I||I|
|Brake Light Switch||X||I||I||I|
|Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners||X||I||I||I||I|
|Steering Head Bearings||XX||I||I||I||I|
Tyre size and tyre pressure for the Honda Shadow Phantom
The Honda Shadow Phantom has the following tyres and tyre sizes standard, as well as the following recommended tyre pressures.
Note that the Shadow Phantom has tubed tyres.
|Tyre||Size||Brand(s)||Tyre pressure (cold)|
|Front||120/90-17M/C 64S||DUNLOP D404 FG|
CHENG SHIN M6002
|29 psi (200 kPa , 2.00 kgf/cm2)|
|Rear||160/80-15M/C 74S||DUNLOP D404|
CHENG SHIN M6011R
|Below 90 kg (200 lb): 29 psi (200 kPa)|
Above 90 kg (200 lb): 36 psi (250 kPa)
About the Honda Shadow Phantom
Honda got quite a bit of mileage out of the venerable Shadow platform, all of which feature a 745cc liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin in a variety of configurations.
The Honda Shadow Phantom is calling out to the Harley-Davidson crowd — but those who want a gentler (or even gentler) motorcycle than the Sportster. The Shadow Phantom looks great — blacked out, with grey where black doesn’t dominate, and long and low.
The fat-tish 120mm front 17-inch tire gives the bike a muscular front end. Adding to the front beef are 41mm forks with flat gray covers over the chrome tubes, keeping to the dark theme.
The fuel injection has helped the engine quite a bit, and the twin-plug heads get a good burn. The Phantom makes modest power, but leaves average cars in its wake at stoplights effortlessly.
The bike has good, but certainly not overwhelming, low-end torque and the modest 15-inch 160mm rear tire puts all of the V-twin’s power to the ground, after the shaft drive takes its share. A 3.7-gallon gas tank gives the Phantom good range.
Manual for the Honda Shadow Phantom
The above maintenance schedule comes directly from the user’s manual for the 2015-2020 Honda Shadow Phantom.