This is the maintenance schedule with associated service intervals for the Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro motorcycles.
It’s very similar to those for other motorcycles with similar engines in the Triumph Tiger 900 series, such as the base model Triumph Tiger 900.
This maintenance schedule applies to the following model:
- 2020 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
This page contains affiliate links that earn us a commission if you use them. It doesn’t make what you buy more expensive, and there’s no way you can save the money (we can’t get discounts). I’d appreciate it if you use the links to support this site and the really time-consuming archive work we’re doing.
What you need for regular maintenance for the Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
The following is a list of tools and consumables that are recommended for the Triumph Tiger 900.
- Engine Oil — The manual specifies “semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or 10W/50 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH (or higher) and JASO MA, such as Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 (fully synthetic) engine oil.” The recommended oil is not too expensive and many consider it worth it.
- Oil filter wrench — Don’t buy an expensive Triumph oil filter wrench. Use this generic one, which you can use for any motorcycle. If you use a K&N filter, you won’t need the wrench again.
- Oil filter — Available from your local Triumph dealer, or you can use the K&N KN-204-1.
- Coolant — Triumph recommends HD4X Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolant, which it says is “a 50% solution of ethylene glycol based antifreeze”. So any 50/50 ethylene glycol antifreeze pre-mix would work. Here’s a great one by Valvoline on Amazon. Many also swear by Engine Ice, but if you plan on ever going to the track, make sure your track allows it.
- Chain lubricant — Use Motul chain lubricant. Some people just use old engine oil, but that can get messy.
- Tyres — Tyre sizes are: Front: 100/90–19 M/C 57V , and rear: 150/70 R17 M/C 69V. (See below for tyre pressures)
- Clutch cable lubricant — Motion Pro cable lubricant works fine (the more important thing is using it!)
- Brake fluid — Manual specifies Dot 4. Castrol Dot 4 synthetic is inexpensive and great quality.
- Grease — A generic grease is good for lubricating major components like your side stand, centre stand, and major bearings. This Valvoline grease is cheap and versatile.
Maintenance Schedule for Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
The following is the list of maintenance operations and to be done on this motorcycle with a distance or time interval — whichever comes earlier.
There are two kinds of service interval: every a) distance or b) time period. In each case, it’s the earlier of the two that’s most important.
Part of the below table includes checks you should do every day.
|Year||6,000 and 18,000|
(10,000 and 30,000)
|Engine oil – replace||–||•||•||•||•||•|
|Engine and oil filter – replace||–||•||•||•||•||•|
|Engine and oil cooler – check for leaks||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Fuel System and Engine Management|
|Fuel system – check for leaks, chafing etc.||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Throttle body plate (butterfly) – check/clean||–||•||•|
|Autoscan – Carry out a full Autoscan using the Triumph Diagnostic Tool (print a customer copy)||–||•||•||•||•||•|
|ABS modulator – check for stored DTCs||–||•||•||•||•||•|
|Secondary air injection system–check/clean||–||•||•|
|Air cleaner – replace||–||•||•|
|Throttle bodies – balance||–||•||•||•|
|Spark plugs – replace||–||•||•|
|Cooling system – check for leaks Day||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Coolant level – check/adjust Day||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Coolant – replace||Every three years, regardless of mileage|
|Clutch cable – check/adjust||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Valve clearances – check/adjust||–||•||•|
|Wheels and Tires|
|Wheels – inspect for damage||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Wheel bearings – check for wear/smooth operation||–||•||•||•||•||•|
|Wheels – check wheels for broken or damaged spokes and check spoke tightness (if equipped)||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Tire wear/tire damage – check||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Tire pressures – check/adjust||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Lights, instruments and electrical systems – check||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Steering and Suspension|
|Steering – check for free operation||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Forks – check for leaks/smooth operation||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Fork oil – replace||–||•|
|Steering head bearings – check/adjust||–||•||•||•||•|
|Steering head bearings – lubricate||–||•||•|
|Rear suspension linkage – check/lubricate||–||•||•|
|Brake pads – check wear levels||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Brake master cylinders – check for fluid leaks||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Brake calipers – check for fluid leaks and seized pistons||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Brake fluid levels – check||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Brake fluid – replace||Every two years, regardless of mileage|
|Drive chain slack – check/adjust||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Drive chain – wear check||Every 500 miles (800 km)|
|Drive chain – lubricate||Every 200 miles (300 km)|
|Drive chain rubbing strip – check||Day||•||•||•||•|
|Drive chain rubbing strip – replace||–||•||•|
|Fasteners – inspect visually for security||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Bank angle indicators – inspect visually for wear||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Accessory rack sliding carriage – check for correct operation ‡||–||•||•||•||•|
|Side stand – check operation||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Side stand pivot – clean/grease||–||•||•||•|
|Center stand – check operation||Day||•||•||•||•||•|
|Center stand – clean/grease||–||•||•||•||•|
|Accessory pannier link mechanism – check for correct operation and adjustment ‡||–||•||•||•||•|
|Carry out all outstanding service bulletin and warranty work||–||•||•||•||•||•|
|Carry out road test||–||•||•||•||•||•|
|Complete the service record book and reset the service indicator||–||•||•||•||•||•|
* Evaporative system fitted to models for certain markets only.
‡ Only if fitted.
General information about the Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
The top-spec Tiger 900 GT Pro offers additional ride-enhancing improvements for road-focused urban adventures, superb long-distance ride capability and everything in between.
- All-new 900cc triple engine (Euro 5 compliant).
- More power, torque, and character with category-leading acceleration.
- Optimized cornering ABS and traction control.
- Electronically adjustable Marzocchi rear suspension unit.
- Class-defining lightweight chassis for agile dynamic stability.
- Enhanced touring capability.
- Range-topping technology specification including 7” TFT instruments with integrated My Triumph connectivity system.
- Triumph Shift Assist quick-shifter.
- Five riding modes.
Manual for the Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
The above maintenance schedule comes directly from the user’s manual for the Triumph Tiger 900, which is available on the Triumph web site.